2022 TAX RESOURCES FOR CAMPBELL COUNTY RESIDENTS
When you’re getting ready to file, make sure you have the following:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit (blank check)
- If applicable, the total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number)
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
How to File:
Visit IRS.gov. Under “File,” click on “How to File.”
File online (preferred)
Note: This doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll prepare it online; it just means that whoever is submitting your tax return does so online.
- Find a professional in your area and have them file your taxes. They’ll need to be an authorized e-file provider. Browse the directory by going to IRS.gov and searching for “Tax Professionals.”
- Use commercial tax prep software, which gets transmitted through IRS-approved electronic channels.
- Use a free Tax Return Preparation Site (see next page).
- If your adjusted gross income is $73,000 or less, use the IRS Free File tool.
If you use any of these e-file methods, you should receive your tax return about 3 weeks after the IRS receives it.
File through the mail
You can also mail the form back to the IRS. It’s taking the IRS 6-8 weeks to process paper tax returns, so your refund will take even longer to arrive.
Where’s My Refund?
You can check the status of your 2022 income tax refund 24 hours after e-filing. (It takes more than 6 months if you file through the mail!) Go to IRS.gov/refunds to get started, or download the IRS2Go app. Check the status through the IRS before submitting a second tax return.
Only contact the IRS about your status if the “Where’s My Refund” tool directs you to.
Your refund might be delayed if your return needs corrections or extra review. If they need more information, the IRS will contact you by mail.
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are your source for personal tax help when you believe your tax issue cannot be handled online or by phone, and you want face-to-face assistance. These are by appointment only.
Lynchburg IRS Office
1101 Court St.
Lynchburg, VA 24504
844-545-5640 (to make an appointment)
Monday-Friday 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (Closed 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM for lunch)
Some available services include:
- Tax forms
- Account inquiries, solutions to tax issues, procedural inquiries
- Basic tax law assistance
- Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) Request
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7
- Payments (check or money order only)
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide provides in-person and virtual tax assistance to anyone, free of charge, with a focus on taxpayers who are over 50 and have low to moderate income. The service should run from February 1 to April 18.
For the most up-to-date information, call the AARP Membership Line @ 1-888-227-7669 or visit www.aarp.org/taxaide
Liberty University School of Law will host Volunteer Income Tax Assistance services free for qualifying individuals from Feb. 4 – March 9. This will be at various locations on the Liberty campus.
- Tuesdays, 5:30-9:30 PM: School of Business Building (Main Campus)
- Thursdays, 5:30-9:30 PM: School of Law Building (North Campus)
- Saturdays, 8 AM – 2 PM: School of Law Building (North Campus)
State Tax Preparation Assistance is available at the Campbell County Commissioner of Revenue Office during normal business hours. Please bring a copy of your federal return and your W-2 forms. For more information, call 434-332-9518.
Campbell County Commissioner of Revenue Office
Citizen Services Building
85 Carden Ln.
Rustburg, VA 24588
8:30 AM – 4:00 PM (no appointment necessary)
Federal Tax Information
IRS live phone assistance is extremely limited at this time.
Visit irs.gov for more information.
Make less than $73,000 a year? You are eligible to use IRS Free File to electronically prepare your taxes. Visit irs.gov/freefile for more information.
Still want a paper form?
- Campbell County Libraries will have a limited number of instruction booklets available, as supplies last. We can also print federal forms/instructions from the IRS website.
- Residents can also request that forms and instruction booklets get mailed to their home by visiting IRS.gov/orderforms or by calling 1-800-829-3676.
VA State Tax Information
e-File for FREE at www.tax.virginia.gov!
Still want a paper form?
- Paper forms and instruction booklets are available for download at www.tax.virginia.gov or limited amounts will be available at the Campbell County Commissioner of Revenue Office (85 Carden Ln., Rustburg – in the Citizen Services Building).
- Residents can request forms and instruction booklets to be mailed to them by calling the VA State Tax Customer Service Office at 804-367-8031, Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (servicios disponible en español).
- Campbell County Libraries will have a limited number of instruction booklets available for checkout and one for in-library use only. We can also print state forms from the website.